1.11.2014

Favorite pastime: SKIING

The snow is around 4 feet deep here.






Winters in Montana can be rather long, windy, cold, dark, & did I mention windy? The roads have stayed covered in a sheet of ice. This winter it has snowed often, almost weekly, with a nearly ever-present gale force wind blowing across the valley… The tempature has dropped down to negative 32 degrees. & there was a spell that lasted for nearly three weeks, when the temperature never rose above 20 degrees. Brrrr.

…But I really don't mind too much - because I LOVE skiing! (If I didn't ski, I'm sure I'd have a bad case of cabin fever or something.)  I try to ski on a weekly basis, while the ski season lasts. (It starts late November & goes through early April.) I love skiing because it is really, really fun; it's challenging & exhilarating - a fantastic way to get out-of-doors during the winter time. It's something nearly all ages can do - from little kiddos to grandparents - everyone can at least hang out in the lodge & fellowship together.

Red Lodge Mountain is a delightful ski resort - in their own words "Red Lodge Mountain is Montana skiing, pure and simple. No lift lines, no attitude, no big prices. Just great snow, great people and an authentic experience in Montana’s Rocky Mountains."  - That is 100% accurate & why I love skiing here. There's a great range of terrain too - There's 65 ski runs & a vertical drop of 2400 feet, based on the highest & lowest points of the skiable terrain. Everything from beginner runs to expert - there's a trail for you! 

I like skiing with people; friends, co-workers, folks I meet just for the day - Skiing is a surprisingly social activity. I also greatly enjoy skiing solo. When I ski alone, I ski hard - double black diamonds & moguls nearly all day, with maybe a quick 20 minute break for lunch - then I ski till the lifts close.

I love the feeling of speeding down the mountain, the rush of air, the sent of pine, the sight of the earth's horizon stretching far into the distance…When I ski alone it is quite. Time spent alone, time spent reflecting, time spent pondering, & sometimes just absent-mindedly skiing downhill. When I ski, I feel truly alive - with my heart pounding, legs burning, lungs gulping in the fresh air… Excited feelings mixed with adrenaline & joy.  I always find each day far too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the places I want to go, all the books I want to read, all the friends I want to see. My week is usually busy & full; skiing is the break I'm always looking forward to. I love skiing. I could ski 7 days a week if I could. *winks*

The mountain views are breathtaking; I always feel very small when standing on top of the mountain. The world is a big place, I'm truly blessed to live where I do, in the heart of Big Sky County, next to a beautiful range of the Rockie Mountains.
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you. Because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." -R.Dahl 
             Here's some recent pics that I've taken while skiing up at Red Lodge. 

Sluice Box ♦♦ double black -
Looking down on the Palisades - 
Somewhere down in Drainage ♦♦
A Red-breasted Nuthatch -
Freezing on a lift in a cloud, in the snow. 
If you liked these pictures, check out these skiing pictures from last season, that I took with my T1i.
-GB

No comments:

Post a Comment